Friday, November 15, 2013

Team France Training Oct.30-Nov.3 2013

A lot of water has already passed under the bridge although it has hardly been 10 days since the end of that very first training of the 2013 Team France of Roller Derby. At least for me who had a hectic and exotic 10-day break at the other end of the world for a very different matter: judging the 7th World Freestyle Skating Championships which were held in Taipei this year, immediately followed by an intense 4-day meeting with the WSSA Technical Committee for a complete review and update of the freestyle ruleset. This trip to Taiwan will be the subject of another blog entry. Let's get back to the topic in hand: The FIRST training of the NEW VERSION of the FRENCH TEAM.




LOST SOMEWHERE BETWEEN THE EARTH AND MY HOME

After a wave of tryouts over France and the announcement of the 40 selected skaters by the end of the Summer, the schedule was not long in coming, just like the hard work. To have us waiting until our first meeting altogether, the physical trainer had concocted a mouthwatering three-week program which I did not do for several reasons, the main one being that 1) I was busy moving to Berlin 2) I was busy settling down 3) I was busy working to make up for 1 and 2, 4) when I was not busy anymore, I had a little hip-check problem which neutralized me for a good 10 days.

I left Berlin on Nov.29 to fly to Paris, where I took the train to Clermont-Ferrand, a one-horse town in the middle of France, which happens to be a perfect compromise for everybody as it is central. I made the most of Laetitia's strategical mistake who had asked me if she could shoot my arrival for her documentary on the French Team, to make her drive me to my villa, situated 30 min away from the train station by car, in a remote housing estate for travellers next to the highway.


STUCK IN THE MIDDLE WITH YOU

This place is ideal in many points, and I am being very serious.
  • First, the general location is perfect: being central, the place is at similar distance from anywhere in France. No special treatment.
  • Secondly, that very housing estate is perfect: remotely located, it is the perfect place to focus on what we come for. No temptation.
The housing was not made according to the skaters' preferences and we were randomly (?) dispatched in villas of 6 to 8 girls. Here again, a very wise initiative from the coaching team to help create a team spirit by forcing us to discover our room/team mates. Choosing the easy way and hanging out with your buddies is tempting, that is why not leaving us the choice was the best choice ever.

The training venue was in another remote village so that a 20-min drive was necessary every morning and every evening (and at noon when we had a consequent break) to reach it. Contrary to the rest, this was not on purpose but it proved to be quite a good thing to remain focus on the sport thing, being on time and not dispersing.


HAPPY TOGETHER

Despite our different schedules and personal/professional obligations, the 40 of us managed to make it, and the whole team was united for 24 hours (between Friday evening and Saturday evening). A historical moment that deserves to be highlighted, which I hope will happen soon again although I doubt it: some girls had crossed the Atlantic for the occasion, such a trip has a cost. Moreover, last minute mishaps always show up when you do not need them.

The 40.

We made the most of such a moment to shoot all the roster shots on the fourth day, which will be soon available on the upcoming website! Let's hope that Do will be kind enough to photoshop our eye shadows...



The camp started in the morning of October 30 by a presentation meeting. A good way to introduce the team on the whole, the progress of the initiative in various fields, its goals, our goals, in order to head toward the same direction altogether.
At lunch break I had an appointment with the physio to get a diagnosis for my hip and my ab. REMEMBER. I was very relieved, psychologically and all of a sudden physically, to learn that the trauma was minor: a serious bruise at the bone and a contracture at the ab. No countraindication for skating, and I could enjoy Adele Linquent's favorite crashpad which she had lended me for the camp. I felt like a Ninja Turtle dressed as such, but I have always liked Ninja Turtles anyway. In fact, when I was 4, it was my favorite drawing theme.


Then, in the afternoon, the real thing started. Skating. We had six or seven hours of skating per day, plus a one-hour workout as an introduction every day. The workout mainly consisted in a 20 min jogging and plyometrics.
As for the skating, the focus got more specific as days went by. The aim is obviously not to teach us how to skate, not even to teach us how to derby. The aim is to create a team and give us common tools to be able to work together. Team work on the track, team bonding outside the track.
The whole retreat was about communication and making sure we spoke the same language, i.e. that we had the same words and that the definitions matched! We worked on simple strategies in order to learn to know our team mates and practice the new language we were creating.


I'M A BANANA

Sharing is bonding. Which makes me think that this team is on the right track. We shared a lot in a few days at various levels. Purely derby stuff such as drills and debates on strategies, evening chill-outs... and FOOD. Which could be the subject of a whole blog entry on its own.

Anyway, when the cat's away...
It all started with an innocent comment I posted on the Team France private group with the link to an article I had written more than one year ago, summarizing the notes I had taken on sports nutrition sessions I had attended during my rehab stays at the CERS. The content is erroneous (I am thinking about either re-writing it or writing another one) but at least the suggestions of meals are good. I was contacted by Pierre the head coach, who asked me to make a presentation during the camp, which was the occasion for me to plunge back into that complex but fascinating subject.

I made that speech about energy intake, glycemic index, erroneous notions of slow and fast carbs... and BANANAS. Which became some sort of running joke all through the week. Particularly mixed with Pierre's brilliant motto "WIN ZE DAY" which led to some mutant deviances such as "WIN THE BANANA" and other stories...
The aim of the intervention was obviously not to police everybody but just to give them the keys to be able to optimize their energy intakes when and if they want.


COMING NEXT...

On the last day of training, there was an open scrimmage which I could not attend as I was already on the plane to Taipei... My first public experience with the 40 will be for our presentation event which will take place in Paris on December 14-15, with a triple header involving an opening game with the Quedalles, and two games featuring Team France Red and Team France Blue against the "reste de la France". A remake of the concept used two years ago for the event I Left My Heart in Team France. The header will be followed on the next day by a bootcamp run by a few Team France players.


I will leave the final word to our head coach and my favorite instruction of the week:
"Kozmic, you take the hole that you like best."
Sir, yes sir.

OFFICIAL Video made of footages of the Sunday Scrimmage - by the Blastart


RELATED LINKS:

RELATED POSTS:

No comments:

Post a Comment