Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Paris Slalom World Cup 2013

This year was the 11th edition of the PSWC, a mythical international competition of freestyle slalom skating which takes place every year on the Trocadéro, facing the Eiffel Tower!
I haven't missed a single edition since 2007. As a skater at first, then as a judge the last couple of years. Even last year while I was convalescing I came to say hi (as a spectator, but still I was there).
This time my mission was to judge the Classic Freestyle and the Battle. For both men's and women's categories. It was a heavy task:
80 classic runs and 34 battle groups later...
I survived the PSWC 2013!
Meanwhile, when I was not judging (speed slalom and slides) I was not twiddling my thumbs either. All my fingers were busy working, typing reports of the competition!


In the rain. In the cold.
Wrapped in a blanket.
With 4 four layers on.
Could not even show off with the t-shirt of the event on!
Greatest logo ever. Of course.


by Keanoush Zargham















Yep. B-)
Anyway, the event is over, the sun is back, and all the reports are out:



You can enjoy a little immersion into the PSWC 2013 on WorldSlalomSeries.com
with a TRILOGY REPORT:


"The 11th edition of the Paris Slalom World Cup took place on May 24-26 with a heavy rain that crashed the party. Despite the tents and the volunteers' work, the cone lines were entirely wet. Yet the harsh conditions did not discourage the skaters who had to get acquainted to the slippery-wet (...)"
"Most of the SPEED SLALOM COMPETITION took place on Saturday morning-ish, the Men's and Women's categories alternating at each round. A slight weather improvement with a timid sun on the Trocadéro, hiding from time to time behind a bulky cloud, before making a fleeting (...)"
"The whole Sunday was destined to BATTLES. Both categories were crowded: Four stages, starting with a first round made of 6 groups for the women and 8 for the men... preceded by qualification rounds for the non-ranked freestylers. The weather was quite mild and the tents (...)"


Check out the whole archive of freestyle events and freestyler interviews HERE on my website, if you are nostalgic or curious!
RELATED POSTS:

1 comment:

  1. When I taken part in the 1960s and early 70's, I been competing in three activities - the only three activities in downhill rushing at time - zigzag, massive zigzag, and from top to bottom. Slalom was my favorite by far. Giant zigzag was challenging, but fun. Alpine was scary. I did not like the speed, the turns, or the lumps. Whenever I ran it, I interceded that I wouldn't get hurt. Slalom competitor

    ReplyDelete