Friday, January 4, 2013

If I could turn back time

2012 has been the stage of an unprecedented act in my life. I am glad to close it, almost 13 months to the day after the accident, a few hours before celebrating 2013.
13 months later... Epilogue.

Indeed I am just out of my last rehab stay: three weeks in the same European rehab resort for injured sportspeople (Dec. 10-29). Paradise. An exhausting paradise, though. All in all, I spent 11 weeks in that heavenly hospital, i.e. 3 full months, punctuated with immersions into real life.

Throughout the year, I relearnt to stand on my two feet, relearnt to walk, relearnt to run, jump, land, relearnt to juke, change directions, speed up and slow down, relearnt to cycle and skate...
I had to re-mobilize the whole leg, get back amplitudes (stretching/flexing), build muscle back...

The final exam is pretty encouraging. I am in the clear and it is still improving: the traumatism is still fresh!
My legs are the same size (which was still not the case one month ago) and almost the same shape, the knee is still loose but the stop is clear (means that the ligament actually grew back although not as tight as before), I got back all my strength (still less endurant and tonic) and almost all my amplitudes (still a bit rusty on the flexing). But I have the green light to work on that and do whatever I want.




I have finished to build my house and I have only the painting left.
Final touches. It is pretty functional, it is all that matters!


If I could turn back time and find myself in the air, thinking about what cool landing position I was going to chose (yay, let's pick the rock'n roll guitar player stance), if I had to possibility to avoid the disaster... 

...I think I would go for the rock'n roll guitar player again! 
'Dude, don't you ever learn from your mistakes?!' Yes I do, and that is exactly the point.

I am not sure I would change a single thing: Although my leg is not as performant as before (yet), I know a happy ending. All the introspection, the fighting, the thinking, the talking, the expectations, the meetings, the frustrations, the victories... all those experiences made me richer. I will not say 'stronger', I do not like clichés!


If you make the sum of them all,
they are worth a lot more than the physical abilities I (may have) lost
and easily compensate for it!



A CHRONOLOGY...

No comments:

Post a Comment