Monday, June 11, 2012

The CERS strikes back but I will survive!


Wow you are spoilt today, two puns in one headline!
You must have concluded that:
Yes I'm back in the CERS* !! and Yes it is no picnic...
Note: Strangely enough, this is the second tribute I pay to a freshly dead black female singer in a CERS article. Not on purpose. First Whitney, now Gloria. Should definitely stop going to that place!


 
After 4 weeks spent in February, I signed again. I am in the room next to my previous one: I don't have the amazing view onto the ocean (I mean, I cannot contemplate it when I am lying in my bed) but I can see the training field, which proves to be very useful to check if the weightbearing class has started!

In February, I had program number 2.
Now I have upgraded to number 3, the last stage!
There are three main threads in the center, according to if you are in post-surgery (level 1), semi-strenghtening (level 2) or re-athletisation (level 3). Your doctor puts you in one of the three categories, individualizes your program and adapts it to your special needs. I am *so* glad I have been given the same medical team as last time!



The entry test showed that I still got a 30% power difference between the two thighs.
My new stage consists in mobilizing the knee (still don't have the full flexing), improving its working, building leg muscle, and doing cardio and up-body workout. To do so, I have a heavy schedule, all week long from 8:30 to 5 or 6:
  • Most of the day is busy with physio rehab and isokinetic techniques to keep on the rebuilding of the leg (quadriceps and hamstring, calf and ankle, buttocks and adductor).
  • I also have a "weightbearings" class each day where I re-learn how to jog, run, dodge, juke, stabilize, speed up and slow down, etc. without limping or compensate.
  • One day out of two I've got cardio training (either on bike or rowing machine) with core and up-body workout, while the other day I attend a core workout group course -- easier than expected, I am a bit disappointed!
  • And last but not least, once a week we have water aerobics and jogging.
  • I'm still exempted from electro-stimulation because I cannot stand it, although I improved a lot. I do an electro session from time to time with Lynda's machine in her room (I freak out when I am plugged and there are too many people around).


Despite the fact that my activities are more physical than for my first stay, I take it better this time. I suppose that not starting physically from scratch (at all levels) like in February makes the difference. But I might change my mind by the end of the stay, let's not cry victory too soon!

Other random news: the food is good and I have a sun tan.


*European Rehab Center for Sportspeople


RELATED POSTS:

No comments:

Post a Comment