Friday, December 16, 2011

News of my Knee for Nosey People


Before dedicating an article to the World Cup in Toronto, I’d like to share an unfortunate consequence: My knee didn’t survive the tournament, which led to a couple of misfortunes…

I know the question is burning your lips: How did it happen?
I took a hit, fell on both my knees like a rock’n roll guitar player (hell yeahh). And basically that’s it: hyperflexion and bad luck.
It didn’t hurt. My leg just wouldn’t respond – which is quite annoying when you’re in the middle of a jam. Made me think it was not a big deal at first. But seeing no improvement whatsoever and still feeling no pain as days went by, I started wondering – eh!
As soon as I came back from Toronto, I followed the advice of the physiotherapist: I saw a good bunch of practitioners (thanks dad) and did a MRI.


Flash-back.
MILITARY HOSPITAL.

Psycho rigid Secretary (to my dad): “Is she over 18?” [Haha! FAIL] (to me) “Do you have a prescription?”
Me: “Nope, but I got a recommendation from ****”
Psycho rigid Secretary (checking): “I know I recognize his writing, but without prescription you have to pay!”

Another secretary, one phone call and the promise of a prescription later, it was my turn to go into the magnetic tube. The doctor plugged me with earphones forcing me to listen to a topical playlist – picture yourself lying on your back in the tube, to the sound of Survivor by the Destiny’s Child’s!



I'm a survivor (What?)
I'm goin'na make it (What?)
I will survive (What?)
Keep on survivin' (What?)

Yeah… pathetic, I know.

You can't beat it!
After reassuring a young secretary at the reception that she was not a heartless bitch – because the last patient had just told her so, I left the building and focused on the verdict: Torn posterior cruciate ligament. Sucks. But could have been worse. No surgery needed. Just rest and physiotherapy.

The next morning I had an appointment with a surgeon for advice – My family has kind of a history with him: he opened up my brother’s knee and he’s doing perfect now.
I was expecting advice.
I came back with a cast.

My whole leg in a cast from the toes to the upper thigh. Helps to hold the shin in the good position while it’s healing.
I’m very satisfied with it: not only is it glamorous, but it’s also very comfy, light, and not cumbersome at all. Tested and approved.

Six weeks:
Only five weeks and a half left. Never been closer to the end!

Think positive:
It’s winter-time and it’s raining anyway.






RELATED POSTS:

7 comments:

  1. Good luck and don't forget to call if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, take care and don't worry, you'll be back soon and as awesome as your usual self! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noooo my Koz is broken! Please get fixed soon! Your cast is totally cool and impressive though - I want to draw on it!! I bet that is really gonna smell awesome when you remove it after 6 weeks. Out of curiosity, how does that work out going to the toilet? ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toilet is ok. Shower is a bit more adventurous!
    Hopefully, they are going to change the cast after 3 weeks because it's going to get loose. So it might not smell THAT bad...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shoot me. Can't beat that, definitely not. C'mon you're gonna survive that. Remember you are a survivor, and your going to make it. And what does not kill you (immediately) simply makes you stranger. Honestly with that fancy cast in blue, you are way stranger than before, ain't you. ;) Sort of. Plus look on the bright side it could be worse, both legs in cast. What about even both arms? You see. Gosh I would love to see your shower adventures. Just kidding.

    I think you are quite incorrigible. I mean your writing style is, which means l like your style and sarcasm.

    Oh yes, unfortunately you are right it is raining like, non-stop? I hate this weather. I really should consider to move. But where to go? And how and all that kind of stuff.


    Best wishes,
    Nic Cin (facebook)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Chloe, I didn't believe when I saw the pic, it was your leg in that giagantic cast!!
    But it's a chance to relax and do some reading.
    Really really fast healing and do what the Dr. says.. you gotta skate again. the league needs you!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete